dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Irish

I found this poem on line and really like it:


The Horse 

Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity?
Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined.
___

He serves without servility; he has fought without enmity.
There is nothing so powerful, nothing less violent;
there is nothing so quick, nothing more patient.
___

England’s past has been borne on his back.
All our history is in his industry.
We are his heirs;
He is our inheritance.

Ronald Duncan
© (Copyright of) the Ronald Duncan Literary Foundation
Isn't it wonderful?

Irish is 13 years old today. It's also been 10 years since I paid money and he took ownership of me.

He's doing well- some days are better then others. I ride him lightly and it's been interesting returning to 'simple' work. I am using it to work on my feel and to keep him between seat and leg. It's working well. I find that he gets really heavy on the right rein and I try to keep my shoulders soft and following. I know he needs the support but it's not good for him to lean so heavily on his forehand. Some days are wonderful and he's light. But if I push it too much he will trip behind. He, however, does not complain and tries hard.

Looking at him grazing out in the field and he seems pretty happy to me.



5 comments:

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.