dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, June 24, 2024

Catching Up

 It always seems like it's feast or famine with horse blogging. Not much is happening and then everything is happening. Which gives a lot to blog about but less time to actually, you know, write.  Rather than procrastinate (any more than I have already) I thought I'd do a summary of what we've been up to. 


First Hack

Right before we headed off to the show Julia and I took the two horses for a hack. Last year the woods were so soft and wet we couldn't hack at all. So this was Carmen's first in 2 years and Quaid's first under saddle. 

Carmen was really happy to head out of the ring and into the woods. Quaid was a little excited and needed a lot of half-halting to not run up Carmen's butt. He did not like that but he has to learn. 


There are a couple logs across the path that are easy to walk over. One is a bit bigger. I had Julia go first and then halt on the other side. I didn't want Quaid to get overexcited and do a big jump. He was uncertain so I just stayed calm and urged him to go forward backing off when I felt him incline forward. He went over after a little bit of dithering. We looped again and this time he jumped with his front feet and walked over with his hind. It was funny.  He liked the stopping to graze part. 

We've been able to hack a second time since then and he was much calmer and relaxed. Which is his style- each time he gets better.  Carmen was a perfect babysitter. 

Quaid: this is all very interesting

Post Show Lesson (Carmen):

I gave both of them a couple days off after the show. I did book a lesson with Jane for Sunday (June 16). Jane shared how she had been so proud of all her students at the show. We talked about how good Carmen was and the judge's comments. Overall the judge said that Carmen needs to carry more behind and improve her ability to collect and lengthen.  All of which is totally legit.  

We spent the lesson working of having Carmen flex and bend because that's what is going to help her with this.  It was a really good lesson and Carmen was right with me. Jane said something that made me pretty happy. I was along the lines of 'She's going so nice and calm because of your riding, not just because she's older'.  Not gonna lie, I had a little glow of pride with that.  

I can really feel Carmen understanding what's being asked and, when she's not sure, she's looking for the answer.  I still have a lot to work on. I keep seeing the videos of my shoulders super tight and raising them. I hate that I still do that but I'll keep working on it. 

Schooling Quaid:

I am really enjoying working with this guy. He tries so hard. Each ride is better than the one before.  We've been struggling with the right bend but I keep working at it. His straightness is really good. We even trotted down the quarter line without wobbling. He is building his understanding of the tasks. I do groundwork before every ride. What we do varies but the purpose remains the same: to have his attention and willingness. It honestly doesn't take long but I don't skip it,  I think it's critical.  We've added in cantering on both reins (just on the circle). 



Johanna Clinic (the readers digest edition)

If you've followed this blog for a while you know that I attend clinics with Johanna Beattie Batista. She is a classically trained Centered Riding instructor - from Spain but now lives in Portugal. I always enjoy these clinics. I love the pace and hanging out with the other riders. They are arranged by Karen who is a very close friend. Typically I travel about 2 hours away to do the clinics but there was a glitch and it was in danger of being cancelled. Fortunately, Stepehanie and I came forward and hosted it this time. That made is easier in terms of travel. And it was fun to host Johanna and Karen. The location was split between my place and Stephanie's. I rode both of my horses and there were 2 riders at Stephanie. There were another 2 riders who had lessons on Friday and Sunday as karen was transporting Johanna. I know this sounds confusing but it all made sense, trust me. 

My rides were first and both days I started with Quaid.  There were people there with lawn chairs watching and we had Johanna but he took all in stride. The ride was really good. Johanna helped me to be really consistent on asking for the flexion and having him understand bend (for a baby horse). As we worked he became more and more consistent in the contact. 


Johanna talked about making sure that I was a steady rider and to let him find me. Which is also want Jane tells me. So how can I argue? Day 2 was very similar (as you would expect) but we rode longer and did more trotting. Johanna had me work with him and she made comments as we went. There was a lot of positive things. 

His trot was the steadiest it's been. Like I said, every ride is better than the one before. 

look at this :) 

With Carmen I told her about working on Carmen carrying more from behind. I was fascinated that Johanna's approach was very similar to Jane's with different nuances. As we warmed up we did this exercise of shoulder in to haunches in to shoulder in, with a turn on the haunches and repeat. It was tricky to keep everything organised. I remember Johanna saying 'if you want quality gaits you need to ride with quality'. Like I always say, riding is hard. But fun. I could feel Carmen getting more under me. 

Funny story: we went to canter and Carmen was NOT feeling it. She didn't want to go forward. This is not new. I probably asked a bit strong and I think I surprised her with the transition. What she does when she doesn't want to canter forward is to pin her ears and suck back. She'll even give little bucks but those are NBD. I gave the rein forward to make sure I didn't pull and urged her to go forward. Johanna had me take her large encouraging her to open her stride. 


You can see in the video Carmen changing from feeling pissy to having fun. The next day she was a bit sore from the work and/or because she was coming into heat. So we kept the work lighter and ended at a good place.  We finished with walking half pass making sure that Carmen was bending. I have learned that when I think the bend is good it's still not enough. Johanna reminded me that it was an exercise, not necessarily what I want in competition, 

Saturday night we all got together and shared food (so.much.food) and talked horses and laughed. I think I was in bed by 9:15. 

patting her for cantering forward

When I look at my photos and videos of Carmen this year I can see how her top-line is really developing. 


It was fun, if tiring, weekend.  I was pleasantly surprised that I could ride two horses back to back for 2 days and not fade. At least not until I sat down. And I definitely had a nap after everyone left and Johanna and Karen were on the road. 

There's still a lot of summer ahead to keep working and I'm excited. 


10 comments:

  1. so much good stuff here, Quaid seems like such an awesome dude, and i love lessons and clinics like this where it's like the perfect 'check in' on ongoing work! also lol @ that canter video of Carmen haha! have 100% had rides like that on good ol' charles... like, "go forth, son!!" haha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the good feels in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a roll with both horses. Wow!! Living the good life now, and that Quaid is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are on a positive trajectory for sure and I’m just so impressed with Quaid’s mind.

      Delete
  4. Lots going on! But all good things it sounds like! I love Carmen's little sass in the video, Shiny does that too, and then kicks out. Once she gets that out of her system, she's so good though! Perhaps it's an unlock code: Pin the ears, swish the tail, kick, and GO!
    How fun to get to have the clinic right at your own place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making some nice progress and Quaid is such a good boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.