dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, January 13, 2024

It's Funny Because It's True

 In september I joined the local photography club. I used to belong many years ago but it dropped away because of the busyness of life. I have missed the creative outlet so decided to rejoin. 

Quaid: is this why you alway point that 
rectangle at me? 

It feels good to knock the rust off. Last week I went to the first meeting of 2024. There was a speaker talking about how to make money with photos. I realised after a bit that I was likely the only one who had no interest in making money but I do enjoy learning.  It was a good session with lots of interaction. 

As I listened I became more amused. It was summed up when one participant said 'I don't want to make a living, it would be nice if I could make enough to cover my equipment'. 

Now I know that good camera gear is expensive.  Like I say, why have one expensive hobby when you can have two? But I couldn't help but relate this to horses. I don't think that any of my friends think about recouping their costs of having horses. 

So I decided to say something. I said that I was really enjoying the presentation even though I had no interest in making money from photography. 

But I said, I have another passion- horses. And as I listen to you talk about the money you spend on camera equipment, printers and stuff, I have to tell you that compared to horse owners y'all are amateurs. The only way to make a million dollars in horses is to start with two million.'

My point being, of course, that we should follow our passion because we love it, not expecting to make money. (Of course I know that some people make a living with horses, but not us AAs). 

This comment fell into the room like a stone. Uh oh I thought. And then scrambled to say that of course people can try to earn money and I wasn't telling people to not do that. All the while thinking "One day I will learn to keep my mouth shut. Maybe when I'm dead'. 

Then in the lull, one of the members said Oh, you have horses? Do you think we could come and do a field trip at your place? 

Of course I said. 

Horses, somehow their magic transcends all the expense and work. 




12 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I knew the ask to photograph your horses was coming! Hope you will consider doing a post on the outing. I also miss interacting with my old photography group. It is run differently now. I am always watching for new photo opportunities/groups and even travel.

    I get funny looks when I tell people I just shoot for myself now. No clue why it is so odd. Not everything is about money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I raise and sell foals is to pay for my horse expenses. Of course it is only a part of it, but with the cost of hay let alone vet expenses, I have to have some way of supplementing my horse habit.
    Money is such a driving force for so many people, after all we have to survive, but it should not be at the expense of integrity and values.
    I hope your camera group has a great time with your horses, and I'm sure Carmen the Magnificent will provide ample opportunities for stellar photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to host them all. We will see if it happens.

      Delete
  3. Horses are magical, you are so right. I think I've told you I rode horses since the age of eight until none were close by and I was getting old. Now my two closest neighbors have a total of six horses and a pony. Sometimes when, after visiting my fields, they know it's feeding time back home, they set off in a gallop, just the sound is amazing and to see them, magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be so wonderful to have them close by.

      Delete
  4. lolol i love this! the real trick will get getting your photography friends to come shoot your lessons and shows!! tell them you'll help them learn to refine their eye for 'action photography' --- everybody wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Expensive passions. Yes, indeed. I was listening to a family member rattle off the expenses of his golfing one time, and I commented about it. He was quick to turn the tables on me. I was like, oh yeah, touche! I can't think of anything more exciting than having your camera club come take photos of your horses. You'll be able to see them from their perspective, which can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you did there... Free photos for life! Lol! Just kidding. But that's so fun you're getting to revive an old hobby. I look forward to seeing some of your photos if you decide to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a fancy camera that I love using, but yeah, no illusions of making money from it! I've had people try or expect to pay me/hire me, but I just want it to be a hobby I enjoy without pressure or expectations. Fingers crossed for a farm visit and lots of fantastic photos of your horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If they are not horse people, it might be fun to see what aspects of photographing horses inspire them. One time, a photographer was fascinated by their shaggy, winter coats and the long hair hanging off their cheeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.