dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, May 18, 2020

All Dressed Up

This was Victoria Day weekend in Canada and the weather has been beautiful. I had four glorious days off in a row and I planned to make use of the time.  I caught up on some farm chores, took the dogs on lots of walks (they are currently snoring on the carpet in doggy exhaustion) and, of course, rode. Saturday was rainy but it cleared up in the afternoon and I could squeeze in a short ride. 

I'm getting better at keeping her under me and using her hind end. I am struggling with contact, I feel that I'm doing well but when I look at pictures I think my reins are too long and my arms look tight. Sigh. Anyway.....

Sunday I had a lesson booked with Shanea. It was the end of day so by then I was a bit tired. I much prefer to ride in the morning.  This weekend was also supposed to be the Johanna clinic and I had saved the  new saddle pad/ear bonnet. Of course the clinic was cancelled and I was missing my friends and spending a weekend immersed in horses. 

Christmas gift from my daughter

I decided that dwelling wasn't helpful so I got Carmen out in the morning and gave her a good bath. When I was done, she was gleaming. That way I felt good about putting on this shiny outfit. 

Carmen was not feeling it though.... I think she looks awesome
As always, our warm up takes a while. Our first trot is almost always a shit show. I'm attributing it to the saddle needing adjustment (yet another thing delayed due to the virus). I tend to give her rein and encourage her forward. Getting too strongly after leads to arguments and not asking her to move out leaves us stalled in this balky, uncomfortable place.  

reeeeally not feeling it
But as we work through a number of transitions and bending and she begins to feel better. 
better
Shanea has a good understanding of Carmen and what she needs. She also has a good understanding of how I let things slide and I need to tighten up. Like our shoulder in. We did a lot of work one getting her to bend through it and now just half-ass it. 

not too bad and at least I'm not pulling on the inside rein
The wind was pretty breezy but that was a godsend because the blackflies are out with a vengeance. Poor Shanea ended up eating a few I think.  

We are doing better on being straight and keeping her on the outside rein. Not always, but it feels more consistent. Our biggest hurdle is her distractibility which impinges on her suppleness and rhythm. So we can be going forward and then she becomes behind the leg. 
not tight here but thinking about it

Our canter work is a lot better- I can keep her straight and forward. When she tightens and gets super bouncy I'm better at riding her through it and not just giving up and clutching.  Our right canter is more of a struggle (not a new problem). She's trying though. When she gets distracted she falls out of it and I am trying to regroup and pick back up. 

Add caption



After our canter, Carmen came into a lovely, forward and powerful trot. Shanea was encouraging me to ride her forward into that and not choke it out. We were motoring but I was feeling unsafe. And she gave a big start. 

deke right
We regrouped but not as good as before. I realize that she and I are both a little overwhelmed by her power and that leads to issues. We need to work on that so we both feel in control of it. 

I was so excited with this lesson. It felt like we're making real progress. 

Plus we looked snazzy. 










25 comments:

  1. LOVE that color on her!
    I know that feeling of not trusting the power. Just more practice and you'll both figure it out. It's great to know it's in there though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm surprised that you don't own this set.....

      Delete
    2. I bought their peacock set, because I though the teal might be too "blue" from the stock photos. But yours looks amazing, might have to rethink my priority list ;)

      Delete
  3. She looks good in that color. Sorry about the clinic but you still got to use your snazzy outfit in a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely colour for her. I am glad that I decided to wear it.

      Delete
  4. Looking VERY snazzy! Your daughter has good taste haha! Sounds like a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does- as an artist she has an excellent understanding of colour. I loved the lesson. I'm so happy to be working!

      Delete
  5. Sooo pretty! Carmen is getting so light that bathtime will start becoming a regular thing perhaps? Did you get the box of brushes for grey horses? The tigers tongue and stiff HAAS brush are in my essentials! https://eqclusive.com/products/haas-white-grey-horse-package

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the warmer months I always hose off after a ride. Since she's turned out on grass she stays pretty clean. we do bathe before a show/clinic though. I will have to check out those products!

      Delete
  6. Snazzy indeed! I get the power thing, but as with all things, it takes practice for you both to get confident and balanced in it. Just ride! Little bit by little bit, y'all will be there! I find it helps if you can get out in the open to practice it. It brings a whole new confidence in the arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think too- a little practice and building our confidence.

      Delete
  7. Love Carmen's outfit and ugh I can comisserate! I am struggling with rein length right now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am conflicted- I've had a close grip on her for so long that giving her more rein is a good thing. But of course I took it too far!!

      Delete
  8. She looks gorgeous in her new outfit! Love the color on her.

    Whether you have a good lesson or a lesson that points out things to work on at least you had a lesson and a ride. So that's a plus in the column!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. my definition of a 'good lesson' is one in which progress is made and things identified to work on.

      Delete
  9. So gorgeous! Love the matchy outfits and the teal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous color on you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blanket, and it looks stunning on Carmen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.