dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, October 18, 2019

Leap of Faith: We Try Jumping! (well sort of)

As you know I have introduced Carmen to many things in the years we have been together:
trail riding,


obstacles:




And a flamenco dress. 


I love this photo (thank you Amanda Stright!)
One thing that has been on my list is to introduce her to jumping. I realized that I am on borrowed time with the riding weather and that I was waiting for everything to be 'perfect'.

 However, that was making me hesitate. So this Thursday I texted Shanea and asked "so what do you think about introducing Carmen to some jumping tomorrow? Break things up a bit". She texted back 'that would be fun!'

And just like that I was committed. 

Carmen: say what now?
The weather Friday was typical October: rapidly changing from sun to cloud back to sun, windy and then a light rain shower. The last time I rode her was Monday so I brought her up early to lunge and do some groundwork.  Shanea was running a bit late which made us up there a bit longer. When I mounted she was fine at first but when the wind picked up rattling some leaves she started to come a little unglued. I actually dismounted and put her back on the lunge to make her work a little harder. She's not allowed to rip and tear but she needs to work. After a bit she settled and while that was going on Shanea set up two 'grids':

the wee little X started as just two poles played down


I was to pick up a canter and do each line while Shanea adjusted to make sure that the striding was right. At first she was all distracted by the leaves and trees outside the ring which resulted in her tripping over the poles. 

This is part of her problem: she focuses on everything and takes no responsibility for her feet. Which leads to her tripping and then getting pissed off about it. The exercise though was simple: canter a line, circle to regroup, do the next line. Repeat. 

We did a lot of cantering this lesson. Probably more than I have ever done at one time. But it worked, Carmen began to settle into a rhythm and the work. She was definitely enjoying the forward. And she began to pay attention to the poles and forgot about all the scary things. 

Now before I show videos and photos,  Carmen (as far as I know) has never jumped and I haven't jumped in over a decade. So let us all agree that my posture riding a horse green to jumping and in a dressage saddle will be horrible. I tried to stay out of her way and give her the right amount of support. 

is this an oxer? No, it is not. 

It felt like at the end of each line she would surge forward and resist half-halts. It took a lot for me to get back in the saddle and bring her back. Notice Guinness in the video. I swear that he thinks he's the assistant trainer. 


The clouds became heavier and I was getting tired. Shanea finally set up a small X (about 12") and we trotted up the line. Carmen saw the 'jump' hesitated and then jumped like a deer, which resulted in me hitting her in the mouth. 

So Shanea dropped it to the wee teeny little X you see in the photos above. That allowed us to get back in the groove- because it was essentially a raised trot pole. 




The whole lesson was so much fun and I can see how incorporating this can help us to finesse some things. 

This is the last line we did. It was the best one so we ended it there. 

 I was so happy with how we did. It seemed to me that she really enjoyed it. It definitely was good for our confidence and trust in one another.

I doubt we'll ever be seen in the hunter ring but this will definitely be part of our routine. Maybe at some point I'll even raise it to 8 inches!!!

baby jumps for babies

28 comments:

  1. You both did a good job with the poles and jumps. Jumping is so much fun, it was always my favorite part of riding. I haven't jumped in ages and don't plan to in the future. I think it's really good for their heads to try different things all the time. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! You're a lovely rider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks so into it! Her pricked ears are so cute. I hope you do this more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is super focused. What’s. Great way to give her something other than the trolls outside the arena to focus on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love versatility training. Next up, barrel racing?
    These jumps are set up to my perfect height. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yessssss I love this haha!! You already know the value of cross training but honestly so much of it is bc of how fun it is to switch it up. Plus for a horse like Charlie who can be a bit frozen thru his body, learning to adjust and change his balance over obstacles at fixed distances (like poles and jumps) really helped him understand what it meant to lift his back and push off from behind. Plus in some ways it removed me from the equation in a good way. No longer was I nagging him for these changes - the exercises themselves demanded the adjustments and Charlie could feel for himself whether he got it right or not. Very helpful for training a happy horse!! Glad you had so much fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to try more of this. I agree that cross training is so much fun!

      Delete
  7. How fun! You both look great and she looks like she's having so much fun! Love good cross training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks like she really enjoyed herself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, JOMPIES!!!!
    Looks like you both had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed your new adventure! Avalon also gets distracted by trees and trips over poles. Probably doesn't help that it's fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is definitely not helping. Once all the rustling leaves are gone it will get better!

      Delete
  11. Carmen looks like she is having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo!! You guys look great - I love how many different things you do with Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I am inspired by bloggers like you who do so many things with their horses!

      Delete
  13. I am not surprised! We know she loves doing different things and how good it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good work! I took jumping lessons with Cowboy a long while back and remember being surprised at starting with a pole on the ground. We had that pole on the ground for awhile, until I had my seat right. I took the lessons because he would often jump obstacles on the trail and catch me off guard. I wanted to be better prepared for those moments. It was great, practical training.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.