dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Last Ride of the Year

Riding this time of year is really hit or miss, unless you have an indoor. Which I do not. I know that it will get worse before it gets better. So I try to take advantage whenever I can.

On Sunday the weather warmed up enough to thaw the ground. I had a lesson tentatively booked with Shanea but she had to cancel. I still planned to ride though.

Right from the beginning I could see that Carmen was feeling mellow. Our groundwork patterns were easy and relaxed. I have been working on teaching her to line herself up to be mounted and it's working really well. I like it because it's not me saying you must stand here and behave. Instead, it's more her in control. I find doing it that way she stays still much longer. It was also really easy to teach her.

I have been looking at my videos and wondering about dropping my stirrups a hole. It seemed that my leg was too bent making it too easy to nag her with my heel. As I sank into the saddle I could feel my leg drop and wrap around her like it should.
from my Dec 16 lesson- short leg

I softly picked up the rein and asked her to walk off.

And it was awesome.

Not 'here you won all the ribbons at the show awesome'.

Even better it was 'sure, I'll do that, go there and tune in to you' awesome.

My focus was on a soft, following rein and seat. There was very little nonsense in troll corner or down that side. We worked on leg yields, bend and transitions. Mostly we trotted but when I found us getting tight and tense I dropped to walk, rebuilt the softness and then picked up the trot again. I could feel how the transitions in the gait were there.

There were a couple spooks but nothing too major and she went on when I asked. It feels that all the work I've been doing is paying off. I am hopeful that we can put the fall behind us and move on.

I am so happy- it has been three good rides in a row. It feels to me that Carmen is back to 'herself'. Now the temperatures have dropped and everything is frozen solid. That was likely my last ride for a while.

It feels like a great way to finish.
If we get some snow we might have some more riding in store.


18 comments:

  1. i just tried dropping my dressage stirrups a hole too - it's crazy what a difference it makes! bummer about the cold snap but glad you got to enjoy the last rides outside ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been meaning to do it but then never actually doing it. I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice way to finish for a while. Love the heart in the snow. I actually like riding in the snow.Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soft fluffy snow is a lot of fun to ride in.

      Delete
  3. You both look great and it sounds like a nice ride - a perfect way to end the year.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Ending on a positive note is a great way to go

      Delete
  4. That’s why I love bareback, it extends the leg in a relaxed position. Horses love it, too. It’s like it was the way we were supposed to ride—our bodies finding each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite ready to try bareback with Carmen yet. Although there was one day when we were doing ground work and I was sorely tempted.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you had a good last ride of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I know. Three is the magic number you know. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice work with Carmen. Sometimes I find a little time off really cements the idea behind the work that we are doing.

    Here is to a much less reactive spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to end the working season. I hope the off season brings enough days to stay tuned in and have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. So far the weather and my schedule have not cooperated but you know what that is like.

      Delete
  9. Great way to end the year! Wishing you all the best in 2019!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.