dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, February 19, 2018

Living in a Marshmallow World


It's a marshmallow world in the winter
When the snow comes to cover the ground
It's time for play, it's a whipped cream day
I wait for it the whole year round

It's a yum-yummy world made for sweethearts
Take a walk with your favorite girl
It's a sugar date, what if spring is late
In winter it's a marshmallow world
~ Bing Crosby~

Wow, I have been able to work Carmen 3 times in 5 days! 

Sunday was a snowy day - but the nice light and fluffy stuff that is fun to play in. This morning dawned sunny and warm. It was a beautiful, perfect jewel of a winter day. The snow was fluffy, the sky was blue and the sun was warm. I took the blankets off the horses so that they could enjoy the sun. Every time I looked out the window they were basking. 


The dogs were enjoying the beautiful weather as well. 
when did Guinness get so much bigger than d'Arcy? 
Ashley came out to join me for a ride. Carmen had a ton of energy in the ring. She was very forward but I found keeping my seat bones on the saddle helped to regulate her pace.  I have been trying to be very aware of how I'm riding and it's hard to change habits. Especially when you're not in riding shape. 

I asked Ashley how she was doing and she said she felt stiff. I told her that I was feeling mushy.Between the two of us we made a perfect rider.  Honestly, every time I took my attention off my middle I collapsed it.  The good news is that with focus I wasn't too bad. 

We took our time warming up at the walk and then I asked her to trot. She was a bit stiff on the right. I realized that she was looking to be a bit upset by me asking her so I made sure that I was simply supportive and helping and not making it worse. I know it's partly her but it's also me- I am not a flexible on the right and I need to work on that. But hey, awareness is the first step, right? 

We did have one mini-bolt up by troll corner. I could feel her getting stiff and when a clump of snow hit a post she suddenly went sideways very fast. I called 'heads up' to Ashley and steered her into a small circle, brought her back then carried on into the corner like nothing had happened. Not that she wasn't tense but there was no more issues. I think it's because I didn't freeze (yay me) but stayed active with her. I'm finding it easier to not shorten the reins but push her forward. I don't always succeed but it's getting better. 

Since she had so much energy I rode it forward. Fortunately, she's also a marshmallow so maintaining endless energy was not in the cards. Phew.  

The weather was so beautiful I actually built up a sweat. Carmen was a bit out of breath and happy to go back to our quiet ride. We did canter in both ways and I have to say that there is a huge improvement over where we were this time last year. She was so much easier to get straight and keep her there. When she tried to speed up I was able to use my seat to bring her back. We played a little with walk-canter-walk transitions

The forecast for this week is looking great too. This winter has been hard because the weather has been so dreary. So being able to enjoy the weather today was great. 

I may be biased but I think that my home looks very pretty in the snow






21 comments:

  1. that does sound like the perfect jewel of a winter day! i love that warm sunshine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the kind of day that makes winter lovely. Unfortunately we have not had many of those this year!

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful shots with the bright blue sky and white on the ground. We had an unusual windy winter storm blow in yesterday, so my horses are blanketed in their stalls. It was a miracle that the blankets didn't blow off their backs before I could get all the straps attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a very windy winter. How cold did it get there?

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had some enjoyable winter weather and got a chance to fit in a nice ride! Biased or not, your house is GORGEOUS in the snow 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I’d love to exchange the rain for snow. It’s prettier and easier to ride in than all this mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only when there's no ice. Once the ice forms it becomes treacherous.

      Delete
  5. I am loving these gorgeous weather days! So glad you are getting some ride time in! And yes, your house is beautiful the in the snow (even though I am SOOOO over snow, I can admit that LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house does look pretty against the sky and snow setting. It’s was so nice to be able to ride as much as you are. You and Carmen will be in shape in no time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right- I have been lucky. I should stop worrying about when I can't ride. :)

      Delete
  7. It’s beautiful! Snow doesn’t bother me at all IF I can work the horses in it. Ours melted and then the temps dropped and froze it. 😭😭😭 I can barely walk out there. But spring is around the corner. Right? 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate ice with a passion. And, yes, spring is definitely coming.

      Delete
  8. Dang, when DID Guinness get so much bigger than d'Arcy! Holy! Still so handsome though <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house IS pretty.
    Frankly, by this time of year, I'm sick to death of marshmellows & whipped cream, no matter WHO is singing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home AND your critters do look very pretty all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house is so dreamy with the snow coverage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.