dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, March 11, 2017

In Which I Actually Ride

March is being it's usual bipolar self- cold, then warm, rain then snow. When the weather has been good to ride I've been at work and unable to take advantage of it. I had hopes for this weekend but the weather turned cold.

Friday was sunny but the wind in the morning was something that could cut you with a knife. It felt like my face was being peeled off. I hid inside for a large part of the morning but had to go out to empty the manure cart and put the garbage out for collection. Down in the woods (and out of the wind) I could feel that the sun had actual warmth to it. The wind did seem like it was easing up. I drove the tractor up to the ring, did a small repair to the fence (winter does take it's toll) and saw that the ground was in good shape. I sent a text to Cynthia and her daughter and then began to drag the ring. Ashley is home for University break and had wanted some pony time.

They both came a few hours later. Cynthia was on puppy sitting duty and Ashley and I got the horses ready to ride. Carmen was acting grumpy about the whole thing but Irish was looking quite perky. I decided to check out how the buckle nose halter worked under the bridle. Carmen and I were in the ring ahead of Ash and Irish and it gave me a chance to see the mood. She was up and alert but not stupid. There was a lot of energy to work but I wanted her to use it appropriately. There was one big leap and run she did that almost tore the lunge line out of my hand.

WHOA!   I yelled and she screeched to a halt looking at me. I took a breath and asked her to move out trotting and she tried to take off again. I could see that Carmen had herself in a tizzy and was looking to me so I just kept calm and asked her to trot around like a civilized creature. This helped to put her brain back in and she began to settle. Fortunately we we lunging off the halter so she didn't hit her mouth.

Meanwhile Ash and Irish are coming up the hill and Irish is practically prancing. He's so excited to be ridden. And he kept that mood the whole ride. He was forward and looked great. There was a some tension but he relaxed as soon as Ashley did and he had his 'this is fun' face on. It really is adorable.

I mounted Carmen and we began to head off. I felt like a sack of potatoes and I kept having to remind myself to sit up or relax my seat, or let my hands follow.  To be honest Carmen and I did very well together. She was pretty calm about things and when she wasn't I was so it all worked out. There was only one spook and it made me laugh so she relaxed as well. There was nothing big about the ride- just walking and trotting, circles, direction changes and some leg yields. It was just about getting back into it. The first trot transition she thought about balking but the saddle is still working for her so it was a non-issue.

Cynthia brought the two dogs up for part of our ride. d'Arcy was trying to pull her up the hill and Guinness was not sure about the whole thing so her arms were stretched in two directions. I spoke to Guinness from Carmen's back and I could see his amazement about the whole thing.

We stopped once in the ring to rest and she relaxed with a droopy head and a leg cocked. When I asked her to go back  to work she began to amp up. Usually I amp up as well and it all goes to hell but not this time. I stayed on the work and she settled in.

I dismounted pretty happy with everything. Carmen was much more happy then she was starting out.

Now the weather is bitter cold again so no riding today. But I'm glad that my riding break is over!

soon we'll be doing this all the time! 

32 comments:

  1. So great you were able to take advantage of a break in the weather for some pony time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure- now it's bitter cold again but I'm hoping that it's gone soon!

      Delete
  2. I can imagine the pupster said confusion at his human on top the giant. Yup, we've gotten the same weather pattern. Frigid and windy here once again 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, cannot wait for the weather to finally settle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! It was 70 degrees last month and now we're expecting 18" of snow between tomorrow night and Tuesday! So glad you got to ride. :)

      Delete
  4. Hooray for getting a ride in!! I can just picture Irish's adorable happy face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay this makes me happy!! Spring really is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you and Carmen. Sounds like a good ride and Irish sounds adorable. You should try to get a picture of his fun face. We're waiting on a Nor'easter with lots of snow this week. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see what i can do to get a photo of him.

      Delete
  7. Good weather is coming! I can't wait to get back on some horses myself. Good first ride after such a long sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But now you have the beautiful baby to play with...

      Delete
    2. True! But I need to get on a horse to avoid getting eaten by this cute baby. She has a crazy oral fixation.

      Delete
  8. It's so satisfying to get those rare rides in during the off season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you had the opportunity to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great you got a ride in and all is well with the horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes life is pretty good these days and I try to be fully appreciative of it.

      Delete
  11. Smart of you to lunge first. We jumped on our new bomb-proof horse today and she offered to buck with our green rider. Luckily, he is good at hanging on. Lesson learned. Don't skip the ground work in late winter! Like you, I'm happy to see the riding break over. I can handle the bad weather as long as it doesn't keep me from my horse time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah- I like living. For Carmen and I some level of ground work is always part of our sessions- it helps me to see what she needs.

      Delete
  12. Yay for getting a ride in! I am jealous. Everything is soup here. Hoping for better luck soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.