dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, July 19, 2015

And Just Like That

If I didn't know better, I'd say that it was a miracle. There has a been a significant shift in our partnership and she has begun to accept my leadership from the saddle. I know that it's all related to the groundwork so I've been trying to put forward the same 'vibe' when I ride.

Things have shifted from schooling the ring to schooling in the ring. Which is huge. I'm no longer constrained to a 20 metre circle in the centre. We can use the full ring and work on stuff. Not that there are not any discussions. There are. The other day Carmen was clear that she was not going down into one corner of the ring. I was clear that we were. So everytime she ducked away I simply brought her around in a small circle and pointed her in the direction that I wanted. I didn't make a big fuss and I was not harsh. When she was pointed in my direction and heading the right way I praised and released. It went something like this:
Carmen: NO. We'll die if we go there. *ducks off to the left to head to the safe zone*
Me: We'll be fine. * moves her in a small circle back to the rail* good girl.
Carmen: NO!
Me: yes. 
*repeat above maneuver 6-7 times. *

Carmen: *sigh* okay then.
Me: good girl. 

And it was over. we went into each corner. I smiled happily.

Me: yay! now we can work on stuff. Oh wait. I should have a  plan for that. um.....

Now we can begin the real work. It's all very exciting.


I was out in the field and she came up to graze beside me. 

It does my heart good to see how settled she's become at our place and how happy she seems.


4 comments:

  1. I'm very glad for you that the two of you are getting things worked out and are forming such a great partnership. It must feel good knowing all that hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah! I totally get what you mean by schooling the ring to schooling IN the ring. Izzy's getting close. I am now working in all parts of my arena at a walk, but I am choosing "safer" areas to trot and canter. For us that means the first two thirds of the arena. My space is about 40 meters wide by about 50 meter long - almost enough for two full dressage courts. The far end has trees behind the fence where lots of spooky things happen. We can't quite trot down there yet, but we're getting close. We couldn't even walk down there safely three weeks ago, so we're making progress.

    Here's to schooling IN the arena! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calm persistence is key - Carmen just proved to you again that you are on the right path. So glad for you both; some of the best ever riding in your life is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! :) I'm smiling, because it's nice when that subtle thing, how you feel, changes everything :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.